on october 1, 1958

Hunter S. Thompson applied for a position at the Vancouver Sun.

"[I've] developed a healthy contempt for journalism as a profession. As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. If this is what you're trying to get The Sun away from, then I think I'd like to work for you."

Read the whole crass and brilliantly candid letter here.

1 comment:

  1. I was at a café stuffing my face with a post dunked coffee drenched chocolate chip cookie whilst reading this in The Sun today. I almost sprayed the whole page with my choco-coffee sludge after reading that beauty.

    ReplyDelete